Sunday 22 January 2012

Art Clay certification course

I am so excited.  I have just booked my Art Clay certification level 1 course at London Jewellery School for July.  The course is taught by Julia Rai who is an amazing teacher, so I can’t wait.

Metal clay is a really interesting material.  It consists of very small particles of metal such as silver, gold or copper mixed with an organic binder and water.  When the piece is fired, the binder burns away and the water evaporates leaving metal behind.   Two of the most common brands of metal clay are Precious Metal Clay (PMC) and Art Clay.

The course lasts for 3 days, and in that time, I will learn how to make rings, create hollow forms using cork clay, add silver findings, set stones and how to use the syringe.

I will have to make the seven projects below and if they meet the criteria, I will receive my certificate.

1. Daily casual ring 
2. Twig leaf broach  
3. Painted silver leaf 
4. Syringe leaf pendant 
5. Lacy ball earrings  
6. Syringe decorated ring  
7. Antique pearl ring

I literally can’t wait for July now.  Of course, I will update you on how I am getting on and put up so photos of what I have made.

Sam x

3 comments:

  1. am looking forward to some fab designs and creations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my christmas pressie was anything to go by I'm so excited to see what you're gonna make next!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks folks. My friend Max is coming on Friday to help me to photograph my pieces, so they should be in my Etsy shop soon

      Delete